Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child's 18th birthday in the country of birth, and we recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child's birth. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

How Do I Know If My Child Is Eligible?

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad.

  • The applicant (child) and at least one parent, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, must be present. Both parents are highly encouraged to come to the Embassy in person with the child. It is also suggested that parents apply for their child's social security number and first U.S. passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA. (Either the attendance of both parents or a notarized Form DS-3053 (PDF 41K) is required if also applying for a U.S. passport)

If you believe transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following in person at the U.S. Embassy. All documents submitted must be originals or true copies certified by the issuing authority.

  • Parent's Proof of U.S. Citizenship: U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or official birth certificate from a U.S. state or territory
  • Child's Local Birth Certificate
  • Evidence of Parents' Marriage: (if applicable) original or certified true copy of parents' marriage certificate
  • Evidence of Termination of All Prior Marriages of Parents (if any): original or certified true copies of divorce or death certificates
  • English Translation: All supporting documents in a foreign language must be translated into English
  • Completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad: Form DS-2029 (PDF 344K)
  • U.S. Citizen Parent's Documentary Evidence of Physical Presence in the United States Prior to the Child's Birth (when only one parent is a U.S. citizen)
  • Application for a U.S. Passport: Form DS-11 (PDF 88K)
  • Provide One Passport Photo: To avoid delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements
  • Social Security Card Application: Form SS-5

In some cases, the following may also be required:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizen Parent's Physical Presence in the U.S.: This is required when only one parent is a U.S. citizen even if that parent was born in the U.S. Merely maintaining a residence in the U.S. (i.e. having a home in the U.S., maintaining voter registration, etc.) is not sufficient, you must actually be in the U.S. for a total of five years. The following items may be used to demonstrate your presence in the U.S.: school transcripts, old passports, employment records, social security records, cancelled checks, and tax records.
  • Affidavit of Parentage: This is required for a child conceived out of wedlock.
  • Evidence of Parents Physical Presence Together At Time of Conception: This is required if the child was conceived out of wedlock.

How Much Does It Cost?

There is a US$100 or B$130 fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a US$105 or B$136.50 fee for the passport application for a total of US$205 or B$266.50.

Please note that the Embassy can accept only cash for all services. Credit cards or checks are not accepted. We accept currency from Brunei, Singapore, or the United States.

How Do I Submit The Application?

To report a birth abroad you must make an online appointment prior to coming to the Embassy. U.S. Citizen Services Appointment System is designed to minimize the time spent at the Embassy by each applicant as well as ensure that each Report of Birth Abroad case receives a high level of attention and care.

On the day of the appointment, both parents and the child will have to appear before a consular officer. The consular officer will take the oath of the U.S. citizen parent executing the CRBA application (DS-2029). Both parents will then execute the child’s passport application. Please do not sign the form(s) until the consular officer asks you to do so. 

How Do I Obtain A Replacement Or Additional Copies Of A Consular Report Of Birth Abroad?

The Embassy does not retain completed CRBA files. Rather, these are forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C. Replacement or additional copies of the CRBA must therefore be requested from the Department of State. Additional information including fees and request requirements is available on the Department of State website.

Foreign Service Careers Mobile App

  • Foreign Service Careers Mobile App

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.